Bedz R Us has partnered with Bradford-based charity, One in a Million, and has recently sponsored two children from the programme in order to help them with their future higher education and employability aspirations.
Along with a number of local businesses, Bedz R Us has a longstanding relationship with the One in a Million programme when it comes to supporting the work that they do for the young people of Bradford. Through sports, arts and enterprise themed platforms, One in a Million provides both formal and informal education for young people to excel.
Some of the activities facilitated by One in a Million include:
• Alternative education provision – helping young people who have been excluded or at risk of exclusion to take part and re-engage with education and learning
• Community projects – delivering curriculum programmes which include over 35 sports, arts and enterprise activities
• Free school – OIAM secondary school built as an academy to educate Bradford’s young people with a broad and wide-ranging curriculum
• Positive Lifestyle centre – aimed towards primary schools and instilling a message about creating responsible citizens in the community
• Youth offending team – working alongside young people who are directly involved with the criminal justice system
• Corporate events and sponsorship – the fundraising team collaborate on efforts to promote events and activities, as well as engaging with local businesses.
With yearly donations for two individuals, Bedz R Us is able to invest in the future of the local area, making way for a workforce which is ready for what is ahead of them. Funding will allow both children to be involved with projects that may not have been accessible beforehand, as well as offering facilities such as ‘community hubs’ in and around Bradford’s constituencies.
Mark Moore from Bedz R Us says: “Bedz R Us is delighted to be able to sponsor two individuals through the programme. We’re proud to be a part of the fantastic Yorkshire community and like to take every opportunity to give back to people in the local area. We think that One in a Million offers an essential service and excellent support to local children and young people, which is why we wanted to be involved in the great work that they do.”